BRI's Module 5: Structured Literacy: Fluency, Assessment, and Intervention
Designed for K-3 educators, this collection of modules addresses the following objectives:
- Foster a deep understanding of each of the five components of reading recognized by the National Reading Panel and how they form a comprehensive and integrated approach to reading instruction.
teachers with practical tools and resources that are aligned to the
science of literacy acquisition and readily accessed and applied in the
- Demonstrate the use of assessments and their results to guide instruction for each of the five components of reading plus the three additional skills (oral language, print awareness, and written expression) that support literacy proficiency.
- Facilitate adult learning through strategies that allow teachers to access information previously learned and to apply new knowledge and resources to strengthen practice.
In Module 5, participants will:
- Define what fluency is and identify its key characteristics.
- Explain why accuracy is as important as fluency, especially in early grades.
- Demonstrate how to administer and interpret a fluency screener and apply national norms.
- Explain the decision-making process that follows a fluency screener.
- Demonstrate how to administer and interpret assessments for all components of the Simple View of Reading.
- Model the two approaches for teaching fluency recommended by the NRP.
- Know the characteristics of MTSS, RtI, and TST.
- Understand the Tiers of Intervention.
- Revisit the SVR to Determine Lowest Deficit Skill.
- Learn to Calculate Annual Growth vs. Catch-Up Growth.
- Know the Four Components of Quality Intervention.
- Understand the Intervention Cycle.
|Thu, Apr 5, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 PM||Full Day||Cindy Hale||Eddie Anderson||Delta State University (Community & Economic Development)|
|Fri, Apr 6, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 AM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 AM||Full Day||Cindy Hale||Eddie Anderson||Delta State University (Community & Economic Development)|
|Disabilities||If you have a disability that would need an accommodation (wheelchair, visual impairment, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|
|Food Allergies||If you have a food allergy or preference (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|