BRI's Module 2: Foundations of the Literacy Block
Designed for K-3 educators, this collection of modules addresses the following objectives:
- Foster a deep understanding of each of the five components of reading recognized by the National Reading Panel and how they form a comprehensive and integrated approach to reading instruction.
- Equip teachers with practical tools and resources that are aligned to the science of literacy acquisition and readily accessed and applied in the K-3 setting.
- Demonstrate the use of assessments and their results to guide instruction for each of the five components of reading plus the three additional skills (oral language, print awareness, and written expression) that support literacy proficiency.
- Facilitate adult learning through strategies that allow teachers to access information previously learned and to apply new knowledge and resources to strengthen practice.
- Understand the Simple View of Reading and its implications for literacy instruction and understand the 5 Elements of Reading.
- Evaluate your current approach to literacy instruction and determine areas that may need to be adjusted or supplemented.
- Understand the role of Whole Group Instruction vs. Small Group Instruction
- Understand the Instructional Cycle and the 90 Minute Literacy Model
- Learn the characteristics of Structured Literacy.
- Learn a variety of strategies to maximize student mastery through use of student engagement strategies, teacher assistant participation, and independent literacy centers.
|Thu, Jun 7, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 PM||Full Day||Cindy Hale||Eddie Anderson||Delta State University (Community & Economic Development)|
|Fri, Jun 8, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 AM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 AM||Full Day||Cindy Hale||Eddie Anderson||Delta State University (Community & Economic Development)|
|Disabilities||If you have a disability that would need an accommodation (wheelchair, visual impairment, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|
|Food Allergies||If you have a food allergy or preference (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|